Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lolita Meetups: My experience and a crash-course

My first Meetup.
So, as you might know, I attended my first lolita meetup yesterday. Here is my general experience with it.
Manda's parents were nice enough to drive us down to the museum, and when we got there, the lady was just asking me why I was wearing a costume when I saw the people I was meeting walk down the stairs. Those three or four seconds that I took to process it was some of the best three seconds in my entire life. It was amazing! It was true, out there proof that lolita didn't just exist in my head, or on the internet. There are real people that like to dress up in frilly and poofy clothes just like me and Manda!
When everyone got together, we did introductions, (our name and lj username XD) and ages. I was the youngest one there, which seemed to be a shock to everyone, haha. Everyone was incredibly nice, much nicer and fun to be with than I thought. We were so silly, especially when we pretended to be dinosaurs (surprisingly often). Everyone looked very nice, and it was much, much more fun than I even expected!
We walked down to the "Star of India" restaurant and ate there after the museum closed. And then we both climbed back into the car and almost fell asleep on the ride home.
Tips.

1. Prepare, prepare, prepare.
Make sure you're ready. Bring all of the necessary items: money, cell phone, camera, but I also suggest bringing a few extra things: extra batteries, and a sewing kit to fix outfit mishaps. If you're planning on going up steps or sitting on the ground, wear bloomers, or the modern alternative, boxers (yes, the kind that boys wear). Also, prepare for people to ask you questions. You might want to go as far as to practice what you're going to say in the mirror. Most of all, get ready for pictures! Put on makeup, fix your hair to your liking, and wear your favorite outfit!
2. Stay calm with strangers.
If you've ever been to a meetup, you know how curious other people can be upon seeing such a large group of such "different" people. If you don't, stay calm. People are naturally curious. People will stare. People WILL pretend to be looking for a cell phone signal and pretend to take pictures. My only advice is to explain yourself calmly and happily, and to ignore those how secretly take pictures. Don't worry! There will be people that will even know what you're wearing! One girl actually asked to take a picture with us! It made me feel really fuzzy inside.
3. Have fun!!

3 comments:

  1. For some reason "boxers (yes, the kind that boys wear)" made me burst out laughing...maybe it is because all the boxers I own are Scooby Doo and the Incredible Hulk print...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We weren't shocked that there was a 14-year-old there, we were shocked that you looked so much older than you are! I started lolita when I was 14, although I was doing it wrong at first xD I had the OTT cheap maid "lolita costume" that I wore to a meet once! How embarrasing! Although I think I may have flashed a few people when walking up the stairs, yes, bloomers are a necessity! Some kids are in awe of lolitas, others think that it's cool to make fun of us xD There was an EGL post a while ago about what to do when strangers try to take your picture without asking. It's illegal in most stores, other times I ask them if they want a picture...they usually get started and just run, lol! I don't mind pictures, but I mind if they get a shot of me with a stupid face because I didn't realize they were taking pictures! You looked great, and I hope to see you again soon! I'm so sorry I typed so much! (too much, I don't even feel like proofreading for typos! xD) PS, I forget your LJ username, but feel free to add me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Manda: I have so many memories of buying boxers for under my school uniform, and going as quickly as I could through the isle to find some. XD
    @Lauren: I've been told I look much older than I am XD And yeah, I usually remember to put on boxers but I didn't remember because I got dressed for the meet in about fifteen minutes, haha. I belive I read that post about people taking pictures. I mean, I'd rather you ask me to take one, so I'm not making a derpy face like you said.
    Thanks, you did too! And I'll add you on Lj!

    ReplyDelete