Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quick "Fancy Hem" Tutorial

Do you have a lot of little extra notions lying around? Like small pieces of elastic or lace? Well, while I was finishing up a pair of pyjama pants I was making, I had a rather smart Idea. Why not finish them with a very lolita-esqe bloomer hem?
So here is how to do it.
1) Here's a fair warning: I'm not an expert, and I'm terrible at teaching.

Gather materials:

~Pyjama pants, shorts, or whatever you like (mine were flannel)
~Lace, ribbon or whatever you have on hand
~Thin elastic
~Safety pin (to put the elastic in)
~And of course:
~Pins,
~needle and thread or your sewing machine.


Now turn the pants inside out.

2) Make a hem as you usually would, but make it larger than you would usually use. Remember to leave a small opening so you can get the elastic in.

3) Get some lace (preferably the kind with an easy trim to sew on) and pin it to the edge of the hem like so:

And then, of course, sew it on.




4) Now it's time for the elastic. measure it around just above your ankle, and cut two (one for each leg).


5) Put the elastic through, sew it up, and you're done!


A funny story about this: When I had finished them, I walked upstairs to show them to my parents, and I said I had hemmed my pants. And my Dad replied "If there is a hem that is most like Emily, that is it."
If you make some yourself, I'd love to see them, too.
Well, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and have a nice day :3
~Emi

2 comments:

  1. Lolita tutorial FTW! I totally want to do with some athletic shorts or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Thank you!!
    I've been thinking of things I can do it to, it's good 'cause it's nice and easy.

    ReplyDelete